Altadena Poetry Review 2019
The mission/vision of the Altadena Poetry Review is to publish a quality literary anthology that represents poets/writers in the Altadena/Pasadena area and LA County including voices of underrepresented poets/writers in the indigenous community, LGBTQ community, people of color, women and people of diverse age groups and backgrounds.
Submissions period: August 15, 2018 to October 22, 2018
(work will be selected through a blind submissions and selection process)
In an effort to represent the local community, we are accepting submissions by poets and writers living in Altadena/Pasadena and the greater Los Angeles area. We are hoping to publish more voices from the indigenous community, LGBTQIA community, women of color, people experiencing houselessness and other marginalized groups in our community.
Although we would prefer to give free copies of the APR to those published in it, as we face the economic realities of publishing and the desire to be as inclusive as possible and not charge a submissions fee to pay for publishing costs, those published in the review would need to purchase their own copy, at contributor's discount, if they choose to do so.
Authors chosen for the review will be invited to read their work at the publication party on Sunday, April 28, 2019 from 11 am to 4:30 pm at the Altadena Main Library. Submissions are free and open to anyone in Altadena/Pasadena and the greater Los Angeles area.
This year, we are accepting both poetry (three pages max) and prose (two single-spaced pages), though the majority of the content in the Altadena Poetry Review will be poetry.
- Up to three original poems may be submitted, with each poem on a separate page. Your emailed submission should include three email attachments, each with one poem included. You may submit fewer than three poems if you wish. Total number of pages should not exceed three. Please note that the anthology will be published in a 6 x 9 printed book. Any lines of accepted poems that are too long and do not fit on the page will need to be reformatted.
- Poems may be unpublished or published (if you own the copyright and include where the poem has been previously published). Each poet published in the book retains the copyright for his or her poem(s) published in the anthology.
- All poems must be submitted in MS Word, Rich Text, or Google Docs. If using Google Docs, include the link or other needed information to access your document. Use 12 pt., Times Roman font, with the title in bold 14 pt. Times Roman font all in caps. Put your name in 12 pt. Times Roman bold at the bottom of each poem submitted. For previously published work, add a footnote after your name with the name of publication site + date. Email submissions to: AltadenaPoetryReview2019@gmail.com
- All poems should be single-spaced with extra spacing between stanzas as needed.
- Use the email subject line: ALTADENA POETRY REVIEW POETRY SUBMISSION 2019
Poetry makes its way into some of the best prose. Examples could be found in the work of Yiyun Li's collection of short stories, A Thousand Years of Good Prayers, stories by Gabriela Garcia Marquez, and in the speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. including "I Have a Dream." We are celebrating poetry in its various manifestations, appearing in unexpected places. Genres mark borders and writing is too deep and fluid to have real borders. We see poetry in prose, prose in poetry. Some prose written poetically is even more poetic than some "poetry."
1. Up to two single-spaced pages of prose may be submitted (fiction/nonfiction/creative nonfiction/essay).
2. All prose must be submitted in MS Word, Rich Text, or Google Docs. If using Google Docs, include the link or other needed information to access your document. Use 12 pt., Times Roman font, with the title in bold 14 pt. Times Roman font all in caps. Put your name in 12 pt. Times Roman bold at the bottom of each prose piece submitted. For previously published work, add a footnote after your name with the name of publication site + date. Email submissions to: AltadenaPoetryReview2019@gmail.com
3. Use the email subject line: ALTADENA POETRY REVIEW PROSE SUBMISSION 2019
Include the following with your submission:
- Contact Info. Include in the body of your email: Your Name, the Name you would like printed in the anthology if your work is accepted for publication, Mailing Address, Phone number, and Email address.
- Send your author bio of 100 words or less in a separate email written in the first person. In your bio, answer the following question: Why do you write poetry? Email subject line should be: First name, Last name, Bio. (Any bio exceeding that limit will be edited to fit.)
- Questions? Contact Teresa Mei Chuc, Altadena Poet Laureate Editor-in-Chief, at AltadenaPoetryReview2019@gmail.com
*If the author of a poem is under the age of 18 years old, their parent/guardian must sign a release before we are able to publish the poem.